The Crown Inn, Catfield - History

The Crown has been serving pints since at least 1836 when George Watts was the first recorded licensee and was at that time operated by Coltishall Brewery.

The pub was supplied by Steward and Patteson from 1841, Bullards by 1863 and by the Great Yarmouth Brewer Lacons from February 1932. The Lacons plaque was at sometime incorporated into the decor of the exterior of the building where it can still be admired today.

Lacons Brewery was purchased by Whitbread in 1965 and The Crown Inn became a Freehouse in 1993

Lacons Brewery, Great Yarmouth Plaque in wall

 

History of Licensees:

George Watts 1836 - 1863
Edward Hammond 1863 - 1871
Mary Ann Hammond 1871 - 1896
 Robert Spink 1900 - 1904
John Rudd 1908 - 1916
Herbert Hammond 1922 - 1939
Herbert Edward Copeman 1939 - 1941
Amelia Doris Copeman 1941 - 1946
Herbert Edward Copeman 1946 - 1952
Frank Wing 1952 - 1956
Douglas Albert Brown 1956 - 1984
Robert & Viv Overment 1984 - 1989
Rod & Jane Pilkington 1989 - 1996
Freddy & Linda Packham 1996 - 1998
Terry & Mari Dow 1998 - 2006
Richard & Barbara Clarke 2006 - 2008
Nando & Pauline Sappia 2008 - 2012
Scott & Gail Whittleton 2012 - Present

 

Please see our Gallery Page for more photographs